Friday, June 13, 2008

short-sightedness

I just read an article from the local newspaper that just makes me angry.

http://www.thetranscript.com/editorial/ci_9550382

Art to the rescue?
TheTranscript.com
Article Launched: 06/11/2008 10:27:38 AM EDT


Wednesday, June 11 - It's terrific that local artists, art organizations, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Scarafoni Associates and the city are collaborating to fill vacant storefronts downtown with art galleries, as reported in a Page 1 Transcript
story on Tuesday.


It would be more terrific, of course, if these storefronts could be filled with stores. But hey, as our faithful mayor has said often enough, "When the good Lord gives you lemons, you make lemonade." And this is indeed a powerful brew, accentuating the new economy that, thanks in large part to Mass MoCA, has revitalized North Adams.

It's also terrific that this group of artists, educators and entrepreneurs have come up with a nice map and colorful brochures that will point tourists -- and maybe even a few locals -- the way to "Down Street Art."

It would have been more terrific, of course, if all these galleries that the maps and brochures showcase had some art in them right now -- not three weeks from now. We well remember the old Paul Masson slogan "We will sell no wine before its time." Down Street Art got its Page 1 news stories and media attention, but well before any of the ballyhooed work has been installed.

Ah, timing.

But, faithful cheerleaders that we are, much of the local media will likely hype this promotion again, once it gets under way. And we have faith that our leaders will find new space to accommodate the growing Open Studios event this fall -- perhaps in Heritage Stage Park or even in the flood control chutes, if all else fails.


Art, for better or worse, has become a vital part of this city's landscape, and the Sol Lewitt exhibit opening this fall at Mass MoCA should further push the envelope, attracting hundreds, if not thousands, of new tourists and enhancing our reputation as a cultural destination. But we long for the day when art not only can adorn the walls and floors of our local museums, restaurants, office buildings and businesses but also can pay the rent.



Wait a minute. Are you kidding me? North Adams, 10 years ago, was a dreary and desolate old milltown that The New York Times actually warned people to stay away from. Now, people from all over the world come here for the art, and the turn around is amazing. Without ART, this town would be nothing.

I can't even begin to list all the ways this article is insulting and ridiculous.

"But, faithful cheerleaders that we are, much of the local media will likely hype this promotion again, once it gets under way."


I don't think The Transcript really wants to help this endeavor. I think they are bitter because their own business has been failing over the last few years, and everyone knows it. I guess it's hard to be enthusiatic about something that's not helping you.

But we long for the day when art not only can adorn the walls and floors of our local museums, restaurants, office buildings and businesses but also can pay the rent.

I'm sure you do... your own rent.

There always has been this "us versus them" mentality that the local and native residents perpetuate. They feel the artists have taken over their town. some have vowed never to step foot in MASS MoCA. It's childish and small-minded thinking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ignore it. Jennifer Huberdeau and myself are constantly covering the local arts in the paper and have been for years now — and Glenn Drohan is a pretty damn arts friendly editor in chief (six years ago, I was told that "the little old ladies don't care about that stuff" when I at first wanted to do more arts coverage). One editorial on one day doesn't really change any of that.

- John M

Jordan said...

Good point. I think that's why I was so surprised it was even printed... the editorial does give the impression that this is what the whole paper thinks.

Anonymous said...

It's important that people point that out, so I'm glad you did! I think there are some misunderstandings locally not only about the functions of art towards an economy, but also what exactly artists do — I sometimes feel people are stuck with this 1950s impression of drug-addled layabouts instead of the ordinary and pretty friendly working people that are a part of the art world I inhabit. My wife is a professional artist who works her ass off and is a self-made person who doesn't expect anyone to do anything for her — and I find this consistent with the majority of the creative people I know here. It's a shame people see the arts community otherwise.