Sunday, September 14, 2008

recommendations

hello.
I've been thinking a lot about this subject lately, as I've had to ask several people to write me recommendations for my study-abroad application. I hate having to ask people for them, really. It's really asking them to write nice things about me, and I don't like it because I feel like I am fishing for compliments. I wonder if anyone has ever read a recommendation that says, "I think this person is great but I don't think they're right for this position"? You might get that when you put someone down for a reference but not a recommendation ... And it's awkward when I get turned down... which has happened a few times for this application. (Though I have learned the situation is generally as awkward as you make it.) I didn't mind asking my high school teachers for recommendations for my college applications. This time it's been stressful for me but it's done now.... and now I just have to wait.... I feel as though I've spent most of my life waiting....

No comments: