Friday, August 01, 2008

oh, lately

so I thought I'd actually write something instead of just posting announcements for openings and song lyrics. hmmm G51's Mapping the Invisible opening was good! it's a beautiful show. But for the first hour I got stuck sitting at another DSA gallery down the street, which was also having an opening at the same time. I was instructed to count visitors (easy enough, except when they came in the back door) and hand out cards for the G51 show and direct them there. Well, that wasn't as easy. These "visitors" were interns here for the summer installing a special exhibition at the contemporary art museum, and they are from places like NYC and Yale Art school. Do you have a picture in your head yet? They are all such hipsters, with their skinny jeans worn under dresses, with ballet flats or Chucks. or skinny jeans and ironic, old tshirts 3 sizes too small for them. have you ever seen that Mastercard commercial where this guy is in a car on the way to a show, and the announcer is telling you how much his "vintage" clothes cost (hundreds of dollars), all to look like he didn't care and just rolled out of bed?? here it is.




anyway, that's how they all looked, not that I mind that much, but they were also terribly too cool to speak to the attendant. I was also fine with that, because in real NYC galleries, the attendant basically ignores you unless you go out of your way to ask them a question. So I was very professional, right? Well my boss wanted me to talk, a daunting task. these interns were engrossed with themselves and their Pabst Blue Ribbons. ugh. whatever, after an hour I was permitted to go back to homebase and enjoy the real show with my friends. hooray!

I can't believe it is August already. Where did my summer go?? I spent it at work. A break seems like a dream.

No comments: